How to Brush Your Teeth
Every six months, the dentist tells you there is plaque buildup or inflammation in your gums. You wonder if you’re just brushing your teeth wrong, but as an adult, it can be a little embarrassing to ask how to brush correctly!
At the Dream Dentist, we know that a little preventative education can help you get your dental health back on track. These are our top tips to keeping your teeth clean:
- Two minutes, twice a day. That’s what it takes to brush your teeth. That’s four minutes total. Not a long investment of time each day to keep your mouth healthy. Set a timer or use an electric toothbrush with a timer function to make sure you brush long enough!
- Watch your angles. Use a 45-degree angle to brush toward your gumlines, rather than at 90-degrees. This is better for removing plaque and gentler on your gums, too.
- Get All Sides:Brush the fronts, the backs, and the biting surface of your teeth.
- Soft Bristles, Round Head: A round head electric toothbrush is generally easier to clean around individual teeth. Smaller toothbrush heads are better, as reach around narrow curves. Always choose one with soft bristles.
- Floss Daily.Twice a day is great, but if you’re only going to floss once, do it after you brush before bed. This way your mouth gets to be thoroughly clean for however long you sleep! Hug the thread closely against each tooth and rub up and down under the gumlines several times.
For more individualized hygiene tips or your next cleaning appointment, contact the Dream Dentist team in O’Fallon, Illinois!